I finished two different UFOs in the last couple of days!
I am utterly delighted.
So I knew I was going to post about these two and only had a look through my blog to check what other completed project I blogged about in the last few months. It seems that I say quite a bit about the process of sewing and ongoing projects, - but not as much about those that I finished?!
How odd is that?
I'll need to go through my completely items and blog about them soon. Or update my blog about what project I got stuck on and why. Plenty of material in both these categories.
So here is my silver grey wrap skirt that took me years to get done.
The problem is that this is only the 8th project since I started sewing again after a long gap. This was a good 5-6 years ago. I am up to 67 projects now, so it really has been a while.
Which is probably the explanation for why I went wrong with this skirt: I thought a nice bright pink lining was a great contrast to this grey fabric, - and I do love the combination. Unfortunatley I chose a satin like material that's much too thick for the fabric weight. I'm not so sure that this will be good to wear.
I am really happy with the shaped ties that I came up with. The whole skirt is self-drafted - the idea was that a wrap skirt would fit me easier even if my weight goes up and down.
This teal coloured Lekala blouse ran into a huge problem. The website made this look like a great standard long-sleeved blouse pattern, - except it was listed under 'stretch' fabrics?
It has bust darts, a button front and sleeve plackets and cuffs. All hallmarks of a pattern for woven fabrics and the opposite of what you find in jersey fabric patterns. Really odd.
Then it turns out that the fit would have been perfect if I were to put a zip in instead of buttons - there is no overlap. I solved this by sewing a gape guard behind one of the fronts, attached buttons to this seamline and thread button loops on the edge of the other front. Not ideal though.
Here is the graphic from the Lekala site:
What I got stuck on was the sleeve plackets that I wanted to put in. They turned out awful. I must made a few mistakes cutting out the placket pieces and then couldn't overcome my revulsion at having to fix it. It just wasn't happening and I'd rather not have this hang around for a few more years. It's been too long and it was too difficult. Plus I had to chop off quite a bit of the length because that looked awful on me too.
So today I chopped off the sleeves and made it into a short-sleeved blouse. It was the quick-fix-solution that I needed. So there. Done.
I might now give it away to a charity shop because I am fed up with the thing.
Here's the better news:
Not a long-time UFO, this is a current sewing project that I am delighted to also have finished (SP64). I also started another skirt, in a reddish-pink heathery wool fabric (SP67), where I only need to deal with the lining then this will be done too.
This isn't as A-line as it looks lying flat. It is much more straight on me when I wear it - funnily enough. I really must get someone to take a photo of me in this.
SP stands for sewing project.
So onwards and everything!