Saturday 6 November 2010

Wollmeise Arrived at Loop!


It's not fair!  I had such good intentions to rein in my out-of-control yarn stash buying and Loop goes and gets Wollmeise!  As of today, Sat 6 November.

So of course I had to go and check it out, I'd have kicked myself if I hadn't and then come across other people's reports on what I missed out on...  I think I may have become a yarn 'collector' {cough} even if that's blantantly such a very lame excuse...

So here we go.  I splurged on Wollmeise 100% Merino Superwash (superwash! Great!) in a lovely bright mid pink called Tutu Dark.  The skein is a generous 150g and cost £22 (making it £7 something for 50g).  The needle size given is 2.0-2.5 mm.

I'm thinking Christmas present (pss!) and shawl, and therefore in at least 3.25 mm... my fingers are starting to itch to start this...

Then I bought the Wollmeise Lacegarn as well (Garn is German for yarn) - the price for this seems a bit high at £36.50 but it is 300g (making it £6 for 50g) and a whooping 1722 yards.  It was the colour as well as the name of the colour that pushed me into buying this.



I love the way Wollmeise names her yarns: this one is called 'Ein klein wenig verrucht'.  Now I do know German but I was a bit stumped at the time, I was thinking of 'verraucht' which would mean 'smokey' - but it is 'verrucht' instead.  That means disreputable, profligate or wicked.  It makes me think of 1920s Berlin nightclubs, Liza Minelli in Cabaret, that sort of thing.  Which is where we're back to smokey again... Oh well.

I love the idea of having a 'disreputable' yarn!  Now I just need an idea of what to make with it... Inspiration will undoubtedly strike.

While I was there I couldn't resist looking around in case anything else wanted to jump off the shelves and into my hands.  Of course there was something:



Madelinetosh Vintage - in colourway: Thunderstorm. It is quite black and grey but there are undertones of blue in there too.  Gorgeous!  I couldn't leave that behind.  Plus I got another notch on my loyalty card.  I'm such a sucker for that...  They must have invented that with me in mind.

This says 4.25-4.5 mm and is also superwash merino (I like that a lot!)

I'm in yarn heaven!

2 comments:

  1. Ooooh Madelintosh! I'm not a Wollmeise fan yet (don't really get what all the fuss is about, I saw the stand at KnitNation and it just kind of overwhelmed me so I went away), but I was ALWAYS drooling over Madelintosh at Loop... It is SO out of my price range, though, that even in my wildest purse-at-loose days I had to just sniffle and turn away... I can't wait to see what you make with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your wish was my command! Or something like that...
    I finished my Age of Steam (and Brass?) Kerchief within a couple of days of buying the Madelinetosh Vintage yarn. My little fingers wouldn't rest otherwise!
    See my blog post.

    ReplyDelete